09 August 2008

The C word

It started on Wednesday morning, but somehow I made it through the day...and had to call in sick on Thursday. I wasn't sure what was wrong at first, just that I was in some serious pain and couldn't sit, stand, walk nor lay down. I later figured out that the problem was the pregnant woman's good ol' buddy Constipation. Apparently I had never known the meaning of that word before, but let me assure you I know it now. I was quite surprised, as I have been eating great, plenty of fruit, lots of water.... but somewhere something must have gone wrong. The cure that I am trying now is a few prunes a day, and psyllium seed. My midwifes recommended psyllium seed earlier on, but warned me that it's really gross and hard to drink. I went to New Seasons and got a big can of the husks and I basically mix a tablespoon in some water and drink it down. It's really not bad at all, and I think it might be working! I'm feeling a little better, but have noticed that it makes me feel a little dehydrated, so I'm making sure to drink lots of extra water as well. That's not as hard to do now that I have my fancy Swiss steel drinking bottle!

No comments: