31 January 2009

She did WHAT in the toilet?



Some of my friends from the birthing class have been doing this thing called "Elimination Communication" where you put your baby over the toilet and they go to the bathroom there instead of their diapers. I thought it was kind of crazy, and didn't even consider learning about it at first, but then I started noticing that it was really working, so I started asking questions. Basically from what they have told me, babies are born knowing how to control their pee and bowels, but after going in a diaper for so long, they eventually loose the ability to use those muscles. It's like they forget how to do it and then you have to re- train them when they are being potty trained. My friend says you can do it, even just once a day, and that will help the baby keep the memory of how to control things down there. The part of it I like even more is that it's basically about communication between you and your baby. It's just one more way to know them a little bit better and to respond to what they are trying to tell you. I have been practicing attachment parenting from the beginning, and this is just one more part of it. I know it sounds crazy. Here is how it's supposed to work. I hang out with Adelaide either with no diaper on so I can see when she goes to the bathroom, or with just the cloth and no cover. When I see her pee then I'm supposed to make a pppssssssss sound. After a few days of this, I should be able to hold her over the toilet and make that sound, and if she needs to go then she will.

I had tried two times with no luck...but today..... I heard her let out some farts so I went to change her diaper and there was pee and a little poop in there. Then I took off her diaper and held her over the toilet. I started making farting noises and all of a sudden - SPLAT - she pooped straight into the toilet!!! I can't explain how excited I was about this because I really didn't think it would work. And Adelaide had the biggest smile and seemed so proud. I know it sounds like a crazy thing, but I was just so excited. I am going to continue trying to get better at reading her signals to me, and try this when we are at home and not too busy. If nothing else, it's one less diaper to wash. I think she was as excited as I was, so we will see how it goes. Here are some pictures Myles took of me holding her over the potty.

1 comment:

swiss miss said...

YAY Adelaide!! YAY Alisha!!