I wanted to write this because things change so fast, and I wanted to remember that this happened, just because it's something that I'm struggling with right now. Ever since we have been on 2 solid meals a day for Adelaide, it seems that she is loosing interest in nursing during the day. She still nurses great at night before bed, once in the middle of the night, and a few times in the morning. I just was afraid that I would loose my milk because she would only nurse once or twice during the day. I think part of the reason is because she is eating so well, she isn't hungry for milk. The other thing is that she is SO INTERESTED in the world around her, and is so easily distracted. She acts like she doesn't really have time to nurse...there are other more fun things to do. I guess it's a good sign that she is secure, and doesn't usually seem to need the attention or engagement with me that nursing gives her. I asked some of the mom's with older kids at our sign language class, and they all assured me that I won't loose my milk as long as she is nursing a few times a day. I also called Le Leche League to get more info. The woman I talked to wanted to know what I was feeding her, and said that all of the foods are really good ones for her. She said I could come to one of their meetings to talk to other moms as well. She assured me that things change all of the time, with mile-stones such as crawling, and also with teething etc. I know Adelaide has so much going on in her short little life so far, so I am going to just relax and know that she will do what she needs to do, and what is right for her. I just want her to get enough milk so that she has the immunity that she needs as well as all of the nutrients. I know that there is no food I can feed her that will give her as much good stuff as she gets from my milk.
What do you other mom's out there think? I hope to nurse her until she is around 2 years old...but I guess if she weans herself then that will mean she is ready?
1 comment:
Dear Alisha,
I want to write something but really don't know what: it's just that I've got so many thoughts running through my head at the moment and I just want to share all of them with you at once, I'm going to write a long e-mail tomorrow (all tonight, if I manege). But just for now- on one side I could say: lucky you. It sounds like Adelaide eats her solids beautiully and I think it's great. Gaia has lost her interest in her soups and she refuses to eat her fruits puree so there are days when she eats only my milk. But she's a very hungry baby so I feed her almost all the time and I feel really tired. She wakes up around 4 times a night to eat, I'm exhausted. It's like my milk is not enough but she doesn't want anything else. So I wish she was eating her solids...
On the other hand I understand your worries about nursing. I think you wont lose your milk if you feed Adelaide only once or twice a day. Have you thought about expresing your milk during the day when she eats her solids? Maybe that could do the trick, there still would be stimulation for your breast to produce milk?
I'm going to write more in my mail. Until then, we're sending you and your precious girl lots of hugs,
Kasia+Gaia
Post a Comment