06 January 2010

Sleepyhead in her Bed

I have been reading books about discipline and all of that and now I feel like Adelaide should be able to fall asleep on her own. I have never believed that a child should cry themselves to sleep - that is no way to find rest. But now that Adelaide is a bit older, and I know that we have a very secure attachment, and I can tell the difference in her cries, Myles and I have decided to see how it will work. We actually got the idea when we were at the coast, because we were miraculously able to lay Adelaide down in the playpen where we made her a bed, and she would put herself to sleep! It was unbelievable, and we figured if she could do it there, she could do it at home too - not the case. For some reason when we are in our room (where she has always gone to bed) Adelaide fights it. She wants us to be there with her to rock or bounce her to sleep. This usually takes up around an hour to accomplish.
We are going to give it about a week to see how she does on her own. So far she has been pretty good at nap time. She will fuss and yell for 30 seconds to a minute, then she plays for a while, and then goes to sleep. It's pretty amazing.
The other huge transiton is that she is only taking one nap a day now. Most of the other babies we know will sleep for a few hours, but not Punkie. She naps for 45 minutes to an hour at the most. But the fact that she only takes one nap means that she is much more tired when we put her to sleep. She seems to nurse to sleep most of the time so far so we will see how it goes. No matter what, we are not going to leave her in there crying for more than a few minutes, and if it doesn't work we are not going to keep it up, because more than anything we want her to be happy and have a secure attachment.

No comments: