I assume I must be PMSing... because I just got out of my yoga class and I'm feeling like bitching. Just a few things I want to get off of my chest if you don't mind. All of you that go to yoga (or any other class for that matter) can keep these things in mind if you want to...
1) WHY do people feel they need to walk up and SMACK their mat down on the floor or FLING it out as loud as they can on the way to laying it down. I like to get to yoga early and relax for a minute and get into the space before class starts, and some nights I lay there listening to smacking mats for 10 minutes straight. There are quieter ways to put your mat down.
2) Here is a situation that has happened TWICE in a row now and for some reason it drives me CRAZY...
When someone walks in the room and there isn't a space for them to put their mat down because everyone wants to have a giant space around themselves and the room is full...MOVE OVER and let the guy put his mat down. TWICE in a row I have been right next to someone who is trying to take up an entire row (along with the person next to them) and then someone walks in with a mat, walks around the room a few times Looking for a place to settle...and nobody does ANYTHING...and then they try and squeeze their mat in between the props on up in the very front where the teacher usually is.... and then I yell out "hey...it looks like "we" can make some room for you back here...and then I look at the people to my right who suddenly realize that hey...what do you know??? And they simply move just a few inches closer and open up a whole new space. AMAZING isn't it??? Then I get a huge "thank you" from a few people, and a few glares from others...if you don't want to accidently graze someones fingertips as you are flying forward then don't come to class, do yoga in the privacy of your own home or something.
And this 3rd thing doesn't have to do with yoga...and is so controversial here in Portland but I can't help it....IF YOU ARE GOING TO RIDE YOUR BIKE, DON'T DO IT ON THE MAIN ROAD WITH LOTS OF TRAFFIC AND NO BIKE LANE. It's not that hard to go one block up or down and be safe so that you aren't taking up the whole busy road and backing up traffic at five o'clock for two miles because you feel like you own the street. I ride my bike a lot. I don't want to get hit, and stay off of main car roads. It's so much safer and faster and better.
There. I did it. I'm usually so good at keeping my lip zipped, but I just had to get a few things off of my chest.
1 comment:
Alisha, I have thought the very same thing about yoga classes. I want to add a few things to the rant:
1) If you want to talk to your friend before the class starts, go to the lobby or locker room to chat. I also arrive to yoga a good 15 - 20minutes early because I like to let my day wash away and it irritates me to no end when the person next to me is catching up about the week.
2) If you are going to class, follow the class. I find it rude when yogis do whatever they feel like instead of following the instructor. If you want to do your own thing, find your own space!
Phew, that felt good. I guess I assume that people going to yoga are different, but they aren't... and maybe yoga studios should have yoga etiquette classes too!
Post a Comment