20 November 2008

Random afterthoughts of the birth - memories

I remember the neighbor Billie-Jean came over in the dark to return our cat carier. Myles told her I was in labor - and she told him "good luck with that". I remember the feeling of the dopplar on my pubic bone trying to hear the baby's heartbeat while I was pushing and having contractions. It was hard for them to hear through my pelvis bones and a little scary for both me and Myles. I know that my birth was tramatizing for me and very scary, but am forgetting a lot of that part now that it's 3 days later.

I remember at one point Catherine had me reach back and feel the baby's head while I was pushing, right as she was crowning. Her head felt really slimy and veiny - I later found out it was because the water bag was broken and sticking to her head. I pooped again right before Kathleen got here, so that is why I thought I still needed to use the bathroom when Adelaide was being born. It was really just her head pressing on those same nerves.

I just remember pushing, yelling that strange sound of pushing and felt like I was turning into a wild animal. The primal sounds of birth have stayed in my head for days. Myles and Catherine both say it wasn't that loud, but it feels to me like the loudest I have ever yelled. Myles had a wet washcloth for me to bite on, that was SO Helpful! Being on my hands and knees was tiring and hard, my legs were tired and sore from holding me up throughout the labor, and my arms as well. My shoulders were sore from yoga too, and it was so hard to hold up my heavy body during the birth and pushing part. I know being in the water would have made that part easier.

My feet were resting in puddles of blood. Catherine cleaned between my toes when she gave me the sponge bath after the birth. I felt Adelaides fingers tickle my feet as soon as she came out. I remember her looking so different than I thought she would. She seemed so big, her eyes were swollen, her head wasn't very pointy, she was slimy. her cord was so short and skinny, and Myles was so gentle when he cut it, afraid it would hurt her. This is all so personal, amazing the things we post online!

No comments: