05 November 2008

Yay for America


Yesterday was election day and I was pretty nervous all day. It's amazing how one day can change history, and the way our country is viewed forever. My dad is VERY Republican, so that makes discussing any of this with him very hard. As soon as it was announced that Obama had won enough electoral votes and was going to be our next president, fireworks started going off all over our neighborhood. Families came out into the street banging pots and pans and yelling Obama's name. It was simply amazing to feel like such a part of something so big. I must say I have never felt so much weight be lifted from my shoulders, and my spirit when I found out that Obama has won. And not only won, but by a lot. It gives me faith in this country. It makes me know that I will feel safe to travel the world again without people wondering what is wrong with our country, and why we have become what we have. It gives me faith that the planet might get another chance before the oil industry destroys everything...that my baby might get a chance at fresh air and water for it's lifetime. Most of all it makes me proud to bring a baby into a world where racism has a chance at ending. My baby won't know a world where there was never a black president. It makes me feel relief for the family's who have children fighting an endless war. It makes me happy to know that the richest of the rich that have been getting a free ride for the past 8 years are finally going to have to cough up some taxes and pay their share of the fortune that this country is able to create. That the gap between the rich and poverty might start to shrink a little so that we don't have a class system similar to Mexico, and other countries with extremely corrupt governments. I feel like our country is young again, and there will be a new excitement for what we can do, and options that we have. Elderly people might have a chance to afford their medical costs again, and the rest of the world will get to see that it's not us....not the people, but the government that has done so much harm to the entire world. We now have to pay for it...but at least there is an end in sight. I'm glad to see that the people that voted Bush into his second term have realized the mistakes he has made, and there are enough of them ashamed of their past decision to try to make things right again. Leaving office with the lowest approval rating of any president since they have kept track is a disgrace, and I hope he has to pay, either here on our earth, or up in his heaven.

No comments: